It's no secret that I struggle with maths. On paper, I'm a maths whiz - I got my A at GCSE. But it took months and months of tears, frustration, and extra maths study every evening to get there. After the exams were sat it was like all that maths dribbled right back out of my ears! I wish now that I could have had some intervention at a much earlier stage, so maths lessons didn't feel like a nightmare.
With that in mind, I'm really excited to be running a competition for a 3 month subscription to The Maths Factor.
The Maths Factor is an online maths tutoring site for 4-11 year olds. It was set up by Carol Voderman in 2010 and, although it is geared towards the English primary curriculum, it is suitable for children all across the UK and beyond. It's results are pretty impressive too, with 8 out of 10 parents saying they see an improvement in their child's maths confidence within 3 months, and 6 out of 10 within the first month.
There are five principles behind The Maths Factor's approach to learning:
- A little bit every day! Short, daily sessions are the surest way to embed learning steadily and securely.
- Keep it fun! Progressing through the course unlocks fun, colourful games.
- Time is the greatest gift. Be patient and supervise your child through the early days, then start to decrease supervision as they become more confident.
- Use a combination of online and offline. Printables are offered with every topic.
- Build your own confidence with maths. Many parents are unsure about arithmetic and maths themselves - so for every module in the course there is a special parent video, along with written advice, giving hints and tips for supporting your child.
Subscription costs £9.99 a month or £27.50 for three months. You can buy through the website, Amazon, and in store at WHSmith. Or you can fill out the Gleam form below to get up to five chances to win a 3 month subscription.