Rowlands is my dad's mum's maiden name, and one of the biggest branches of, not just my tree, but probably any family tree ever created in the history of the world. Seriously, there were a lot of Rowlands about! This post is a really basic overview as I plan to write more about the individual family units in the future, and I need to double check a fair few of the siblings...
Anyway, my nan was the youngest of three, starting with:
Jean E Rowlands, 1929 - 1934. Jean was just five when she died of, I think, whooping cough, but I might be misremembering.
Eric J Rowlands, 1933 -
Eric married Mavis Tucker and had two children:
- Serena Rowlands, 1961 -
- Simon Rowlands, 1966 -
Janice Rose Rowlands, 1940 -
This is my nan who I'll write more about in due course, I'm sure! My dad's dad, Ralph Powell, was her first husband with whom she had three children:
- Gaynor Anne Powell, 1963 -
- Kevin Mark Powell, 1966 - (My dad.)
- Amanda Rose Powell, 1968 -
Then she had another son with her second husband:
- Deryck Andrew Bayes, 1976 -
In 1984 she married Frank Reece. :)
Their mother, Olive May Bird (1906 - 2002), married Herbert 'Bert' Rowlands in 1926. His parents were Jesse Morgan Rowlands and Elizabeth. There were a lot of siblings, so I'll go through them one by one, starting with the eldest:
George Henry Rowlands, 1885 - ?
John Dawson Rowlands, 1886 - ?
Louisa Emily Rowlands, 1888 - ?
Raymond Charles Rowlands, 1890 - ?
Richard Valentine 'Val' Rowlands, 1892 - 1970. Val married Lily Maud Thomas in 1920. I don't think they had any children.
Lily Maud, Val Rowlands, and Cecilia 'Sis' Rowlands.
Gwendoline Rowlands, 1894 - 1978. Gwen married Frank Arthur Hamilton in 1927. They had two children:
- Joan Elizabeth Hamilton, 1924 -
- Derek Hamilton, 1927 -
William Oswald Rowlands, 1898 - ?
Cecilia 'Sis' Maud Rowlands, 1901 - 1984. To the best of my knowledge, Sis never married or had children.
Godfrey Rowlands, 1903 - 1976.
Herbert 'Bert' Rowlands, 1907 - 1986. (My great-grandad.)
Lewi Rowlands, ? - ?
Ronald Rowlands, ? - ?
Going back a generation gives us another gaggle of siblings, born to George Rowlands and Emily Howells:
Harriet Rowlands, 1859 - ?
Margaretta Rowlands, 1860 - 1919. Margaretta married John Matthews in 1880, and the couple had:
- Percy John Matthews, 1882 - 1973.
- Ada Matthews, 1885 - ?
- George Matthews, 1888 - ?
- Thomas Matthews, 1890 - 1955.
- Emily Matthews, 1893 - ?
- Ellen Matthews, 1895 - ?
- Stanley Matthews, 1897 - 1928.
- Annie May Matthews, 1899 - 1957.
- Wilfred Roland Matthews, 15/06/1904 - 1978.
Jesse Morgan Rowlands, 1862 - 1928. Married Elizabeth in 1884.
George Rowlands, 1867 - ?
Emily Rowlands, 1869 - ?
Tom Stanley Rowlands, 1872 - ?
Gertrude Ada Rowlands, 1874 - 1948.
Mabel Rowlands, 1879 - 1939. Mabel married Thomas Henry Critchley in 1899, their offspring were:
- Reginald Lancelot Critchley, 1900 - 1984.
- Thomas Charles Critchley, 1901 - 1985.
- Brinley Aubrey Critchley, 1904 - 1961.
- Cecil Rowland Critchley, 1907 - 1924.
- Iris M Critchely, 1910 - 1913.
- Edwin Thomas Critchley, 1914 - 1991.
- Stanley J Critchley, 1917 - 1918.
Jumping back another generation we have their father George and his siblings:
Edwin Rowlands, 1826 - 1889. Edwin married Martha Banfield in 1847, and they went on to have:
- Frances Jane 'Fanny' Rowlands, 1849 - 1891.
- Charles Rowlands, 1851 - ?
- Frederick Rowlands, 1854 - ?
- Emma Rowlands, 1856 - 1932.
- Edward Rowlands, 1861 - ?
- Thomas Rowlands, 1865 - 1934.
Mary Rowlands, 1829 - ?
George Rowlands, 1834 - 1904. Married Emily Howells in 1858.
William Rowlands, 1835 - 1912.
Thomas Rowlands, 1842 - ?
John Rowlands, 1846 - ? In 1861, aged 15, the census lists him as a tin plate worker living at home. He married Emma, and they went on to have a whole brood of children:
- Millicent Jessie Rowlands, 1867 - ?
- Harry Davies Rowlands, 1868 - 1943.
- Lanta M G Rowlands, 1869 - ?
- Ada Maud Rowlands, 1873 - ?
- Frederick Rowlands, 1876 - ?
- Clifford Rowlands, 1877 - ?
- Clara M Rowlands, 1880 - ?
Jane Rowlands, 1849 - 1920. Jane doesn't appear to have married; on the 1901 census she's listed as a visitor with the Critchleys (her niece and nephew-in-law). Then again, her occupation is listed as 'own means' so perhaps there was a deceased suitor somewhere along the way. In 1911, aged 65, she's listed as a housekeeper for Thomas Thomas, a widower, and his two sons.
This is the furthest back I've managed to get so far:
Thomas Rowlands, 1800 - 1871. Thomas was born in Whitchurch, Glamorgan, and moved to Pontypool at some point before his marriage to Harriet Gunter, a Herefordshire native, in 1828. The census records Thomas as a Tin Plate Rollerman, i.e. the guy who used tongs to seize the hot bars of iron and then fed them through the steam powered rollers.
For more like this, please click the image below: