Tuesday, 23 March 2021

Welsh UFO Sightings - 1987

Welsh UFO Sightings

Sightings from across Wales in 1987. For sightings from other years please click HERE.

Sunday January 25th, 16:30
Rhyl, Denbighshire

A driving instructor with the MGM school of motoring was with a pupil when they saw a single round white light, low in the sky - so low they judged it to be at rooftop level of the adjacent two storey house. They reported the sighting to RAF Valley.

DEFE-24-1926 72

Saturday January 31st, 02:10
Witness saw 'one object flashing like star: red, green, white and blue lights' near RAF Valley.

DEFE-24-1926 78

Monday February 9th, 06:30
Pen-y-Cae Mawr, Monmouthshire

Witness was woken by a very bright light then saw an object c. 7-8 foot across on the ground. Witness' son later found indentations in the grass where it had rested. The SUFON report covered all the details: 

Dawn breaking, conditions clear, no cloud, little wind. A woman at home in Pen-Y-Cae Mawr (north-east of Newport), in a rural setting, was awoken by a very bright light shining into her upstairs bedroom window. On looking out of the window she saw a round object approximately 7-8 feet across, on the ground 500-600 feet away to the north-east. There was no noise coming from it and it was stationary. She watched the object for a couple of minutes and during this time there was no movement. Duration of the sighting was approximately 2 minutes. 

Later that morning her son visited the area and found three, 2-3 ft-wide circles in the grass, arranged in a triangular pattern, with two sides measuring 15 feet, and one side measuring 10 feet. Inside the circles the grass appeared brighter than the surrounding area. The circles were indented about 1 1/2 inches on the inner faces. The area was also visited by a Squadron Leader of the RAF. The description of the area is produced in the report. 

The witness is described in the report as appearing to be a sensible lady, who maintained throughout that the object she saw was not a figment of her imagination.

DEFE-24-1926 73 DEFE-24-1926 74

Wednesday March 11th, 00:55
Ogmore, Bridgend

Fine weather conditions. The witness was cycling along the B4524, the Bridgend to Ogmore-by-Sea road. First seen in the west towards the River Ogmore, the object was described as being rock-like in shape, consisting mainly of lights with a rim above it. It was 15 feet above the river, on the far side of the estuary, and was seen for five to ten minutes. The witness reported it to the police who subsequently forwarded it to the MOD.

DEFE-24-1926 57

Wednesday April 29th
Killay, Swansea


Swansea toddler Hannah bates today told of her close encounter with an unidentified flying object last night. After calmly drawing what she saw the bright-eyed four-year-old said: ‘It was ghosties!’ 

Hannah and her mother Mrs. Jenny Bates say they were ‘buzzed’ by the UFO which hovered silently 50 feet above their home in Curry Close, Upper Killay [actually Killay - SUFON note]. 

The child saw the object first and when her mother looked up she couldn’t believe her eyes. 

‘It was just hovering there. It was tiny, about the size of my dining room table, and had four green lights on the bottom,’ said Mrs. Bates. ‘I was rooted to the spot and I tried to call out to my husband but I couldn’t speak,’ she said. ‘I must have stared at it for five seconds before it shot off. There was a rushing of air, but no noise at all. It was really weird,’ added Mrs. Bates. 

She wasn’t convinced she had actually seen a UFO until Hannah sat down and drew the object.

‘Ghosties is her word for anything unusual and that is exactly what we saw,’ said Mrs. Bates. 

The family had just returned from a long day out at around 10.30 pm last night and the encounter came while husband Nick was parking the car in the garage behind their home. 

‘I saw the reflection of green lights on the bonnet of the car, but nothing else,’ he said. 

Hannah missed school at Dunvant Nursery today but when she returns the youngster will have a tale to tell her classmates. Swansea police said the airport authorities say they have had no reports of any UFO sightings overnight.

Source: South Wales Evening Post, Thursday 30th April 1987.

South Wales Evening Post 29/04/1987

Northern UFO News #126 reported on the case:

Northern UFO News #126

July or August, 01:00
Caswell Gower

Two on duty uniformed police officers, attending a road block due to a road traffic accident were in position half way down Caswell Road, a hill approaching Caswell Bay from Langland. It was a clear sky on a fine warm night. 

They saw a bright white light high in the sky at about 80 degrees elevation to the south. It was difficult to gauge the altitude of the stationary object but the witness estimated that it was high, 20-30,000 feet. 

The light, which gave off no discernible sound, was stationary for two or three minutes and then suddenly shot off at high speed out of their view due to the confines of the valley, in a southerly direction over the Bristol Channel.

Source: SUFON Files.

Wednesday August 5th, 00:25
Risca, Gwent

Two bright orange lights travelling in close proximity to each other. Lights then sped away in different directions. SUFON's report summary is as follows: 

Clear sky. Two police officers, an Inspector and a PC were standing on a mountain road overlooking a valley with a clear view into the night sky. In the southern sky two bright orange lights slightly larger than aircraft lights were seen moving in close proximity to each other. Both objects were spherical in shape with no apparent angle of elevation, but were approximately three miles away from the observer. 

The lights were moving at steady moderate speed, one behind the other towards the south-west. After travelling a short distance the front light shot off at speed upwards into the sky in a north westerly direction and out of sight. Simultaneously the rear light shot off at speed upwards into the sky in the reverse direction towards the south-east and out of sight. 

A mile away from the two officers, and unknown to either party, the UFOs were also observed by another two police officers, a PC and a WPC. Duration of sighting was 2-3 minutes.

DEFE-24-1926 15

Monday August 17th, 23:50
North Wales
Northern UFO News #130 carried the following report from Geoff Bird: 

Around midnight that same night a group of "New Age people" had an encounter. (Geoff met them whilst doing some stone circle radiation monitoring in Shropshire.) The bunch had been engaged in a "Hopi type ritual" (remember the end of the world prophecy for the previous weekend).

They were at Mitchells Fold on the Wales/Shropshire border "cleansing the earth and performing rites for harmonic conversion" (there is more - something to do with the Aztec God Quetzacoatl, but I think you've heard enough!) Apparently the phenomena they saw lasted 90 minutes and was over towards the Berwyn Mountains - scene of the famous 'explosion' and 'UFO crash' of February 1974.

The group saw balls of light, columns and 'laser shows' forming 'crosses in the sky'. (It should be noted that RAF and army exercises are very common in the area.) Allegedly lights shot out from the stone circle at various times too (although Geoff and his team made recordings immediately after and found nothing odd.) During the affair 'two men in blue short-sleeved shirts and blue baseball caps' turned up. They watched the light show and took readings with a geiger counter and then left.

Geoff says the 'New age people seemed sensible. They were anti-drug and reluctant to go public because they fear the site will be invaded by others.' (The police apparently did turn up to throw Geoff and his team off soon afterwards!) He thinks they saw meteors and were pumped up by all the 'dancing and chanting' (!) they were doing and can find no evidence for earthlights. Keel University recorded no seismic activity and weather records from the local RAF base showed no temperature inversions or electric storms.

Meanwhile, someone else was in North Wales that night - Mr. B from Warrington. Peter Hough investigated his story. He was sleeping in his car in a car park at Conway between 04:00 and 05:00 and looking east. (i.e. towards the above location although 50 miles or more away.) He saw a series of white 'stars' manoeuvring about the sky very fast. He was positive they were not aircraft as they moved in erratic fashion.

Thursday August 27th, 21:30
Rassau, Ebbw Vale

Conditions dry with good visibility. 

The witness, in rear garden of home in Rassau, Ebbw Vale, saw three revolving objects high in the sky. Watching through binoculars at the objects, the witness watched as two remained stationary and the third made zig-zag movements around them. 

The witness reported it to the police who passed it on to the MOD, stating that the witness was known to the officers and was a reliable person.

DEFE-24-1927 202

Friday August 28th, 23:30

A large, flat circular object with blue, white, yellow and orange lights was seen hovering over Treharris, and making a loud humming noise at first, and then silent. The witness reported it to the police who notified the RAF at St. Athan.

DEFE-24-1927 189
South Wales Evening Post

Thursday September 15th, 21:00

Mrs. Marion Pritchard, aged 32, of Heol Gwili, Trallwn, Swansea, was called by her 11-year-old son, Christopher. 

"I was in the kitchen and Christopher asked me what the lights in the sky were. I looked out and saw three objects, following one behind the other. Red lights were flashing alternately and I thought it might be a helicopter but there was no noise and the lights were very close together. I don’t know what it was."

Christopher couldn’t get to sleep wondering about the mysterious lights. Swansea Airport was consulted by the Evening Post, who said that it could have been a helicopter. It wasn’t a scheduled flight but it may have been an air ambulance.

Source: South Wales Evening Post, Wednesday 16th September 1987.

Thursday October 22nd

DEFE-24-1927 154

Friday October 23rd
Llanllyfni, Caernarfon

Witness, along with their neighbours and grandchildren, saw a circular flashing red / green / amber UFO. They watched it outdoors with the naked eye and through binoculars and a telescope. 

DEFE-24-1927 153

South Wales Valleys

Lyn Woods (17) was coming around the corner onto her street and heard a rumbling noise. She looked up and saw an object which had just come over the top of a mountain about a half mile distant, moving slowly. The object was about 600 feet in altitude and very large - about 150 to 200 feet across and about 100 feet in depth. 

She described the object as being like lots of blocks stuck together, with white, lilac and yellow lights in no particular formation or pattern. The sighting lasted 11 minutes.

"It came into view very slowly. I heard a rumbling noise as I was coming round the corner onto my street, I looked up and it had just come over the mountain top. It as about half a mile away and about 600 feet up. What was strange is that it stopped when I stopped and moved when I started to move. 

I ran to my house and kept on watching and it just hovered and moved off slowly with a low rumbling noise. I am a very rational person, don't drink, I don't do drugs. What I saw that night changed my complete view on life regarding what we are taught in schools about what is and what is not real." 

Tuesday November 17th

Margaret Fry recounted this story about RJ, witness to a 1944 sighting, when he went into hospital in 1987 for a hip replacement. While nothing to do with UFOs, per se, it is interesting in terms of the concept of experiencers and the crossover between UFO and other paranormal activity.

On the 17th November RJ was wheeled on a trolley to the pre-operation room, where two nurses were to give him an injection. They then saw RJ rise out of his body and go through the ceiling. He saw himself "on a bed of mercury" with a strange thin tall Being rectifying the things that were wrong with his body! 

They almost fled in terror, and would have if there had not been another patient there. Then they saw the top half of his etheric spirit sink back into his body, as they wheeled him into the Theatre. In the Operating Theatre RJ was given another injection and put under anaesthetic, when he again felt himself floating out of his body up to the ceiling, from where he watched his entire operation. 

The Surgeon had some students around him, and he told them, "This man has healed himself, only his hip needs replacing." 

Afterwards, the Surgeon came to the ward and asked RJ a lot of questions about UFOs; he explained that he had been talking about them under anaesthetic. RJ then dumbfounded the students, by describing what they did, said and stood during his operation.

October, morning

Stephen Kenny of Penplas, Swansea, was walking to work, one early, bitterly cold morning in October 1987, and was about to cross over the viaduct, when he saw:

“...a dark shadow over the bridge. I first thought to myself, that’s a strange place to put a sign. As I came closer, now about 100 ft away from it, I heard a dull sound and realised that it was emanating from this mass, which was slowly changing shape, with two green lights revolving around it. I carried on walking, and when I got to the other side of the bridge I saw it rise vertically into the sky and disappear from sight.”

Source: Haunted Skies, John Hanson citing personal interview with witness.

Wednesday November 25th
Menai Bridge

13-year-old witness, along with their mother and sister, saw a small white oval UFO flying low towards Snowden mountain range. The sighting lasted around five minutes and the object then flew off vertically. 

They reported the sighting to RAF Valley.

DEFE-24-1927 122

Brecon Beacons

Dr Richard Lawrence was holidaying with his family in the Brecon Beacons when he saw 'three stationary bright lights illuminated the sky for a few seconds and then shot off at great speed in different directions.'

Wales on Sunday 22/09/2006

For more like this please click the image below:
Weird Wales

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, so please don't be shy!

newerPageTitle olderPageTitle Home